Thursday 22 March 2012

Research Brief


The topic of my "History of Libraries, Books and Communication" Research Project will be Illuminated Manuscripts, I will be focusing on the Medieval Period, but within my research I will probably stray slightly into other eras where necessary.  I spent hours this morning searching the huge list provided by the lecturer, and so many appealed to me it was very difficult to narrow it down.  So I did a little bit of searching on several topics that caught my eye, until I found the subject I could not stop reading about.  When I realised I wanted to read more and more on this subject I decided that would be the one for me.

Throughout my Research Project I will be focusing on the cultural importance of, history of and the process of illuminated manuscripts, I hope to answer the following questions with my research:
1.       What is an illuminated manuscript?
2.       From where did they originate?
3.       Where else in the world did they occur? How did they differ?
4.       What was the purpose of an illuminated manuscript?
5.       What forms did they take?
6.       What roles did illuminated manuscripts play in society?
7.       Who produced illuminated manuscripts?
8.       What is the process of illumination?
9.       What happened to illuminated manuscripts over the intervening years?  Did any survive the many wars that have occurred?
10.   What were some of the most important or significant ones?
11.   What occurred to halt the production of illuminated manuscripts?

I will employ the following strategies to find information: I will search the Swinburne Library Databases for articles; I will search my local library for books and articles; and I will use the internet to search for reputable and relevant websites, for information, photographs and pictures.  I will have to search and read through information on the Medieval Period in general, as well as searching the Illuminated Manuscripts, to get a broad amount of information.  I am really looking for to finding out as much as possible on this topic, and sharing it with everyone.  The historical information will be very interesting, but so will the cultural context of Illuminated Manuscripts.  I will be keeping a six week online blog about my processes and progress.

This image is an example of an illustration from an Illuminated Manuscript:

Progress to Date:

I have so far gone to my local public library catalogue and searched for Illuminated Manuscripts, I found half a dozen books that may have anything on the subject, so I borrowed them all to browse.  I also approached the libraries Reference Librarian for assistance on their own Journals and Databases.  She directed me to some databases that may be useful, one being Trove.  Not a fantastic start in my opinion, hopefully my luck will improve.  My aim is to start to read through what I have now, and move on to other sources this week.  I've added part one of a series of Youtube video's I discovered on the process of illumination:

No comments:

Post a Comment