Saturday 11 May 2024

PD Blog Post #3 - Write a picture book - For censorship.

For my third activity, I have written a picture book using Canva; the process was made easy by using Canva’s graphics to add pictures to my words. Like so many of you I’m sure, I was very concerned by the Cumberland Council’s decision to ban the “Same Sex Parents” picture book. I decided to write a book to try to explain to children what censorship is. 

Figure 1: Book Cover (Blackwells, 2024)

 

I thought I'd share one of the oddest reasons for banning a book I found during my research, is that China banned Lewis Carrol’s Alice in Wonderland, because “animals should not have human language” (Baldassarro, 2011, para. 6).

 Figure 2:  Chesire Cat in Alice in Wonderland (Harbert, 2019, June)

Learning about the differences between censorship and selection when completing module six, made me realise that this is a missing piece of knowledge for me. I always worry that when I am selecting material for my school library, I might actually be censoring the students rather than making relevant selections. As Lester Ashiem said, it is a physical impossibility, both in storage and financially, to provide access to all published materials equally (1953, limited span of control section), thus making book selection a difficult task for library staff. Ashiem asks us the question, of whether the reasons or motives behind the rejection of material make a difference to the outcome of depriving patrons of access to a book (1953, limited span of control section)? I think the answer is yes, selection is a positive approach, a selector is looking for the good in books, even if there may also be controversial material and acceptance is not contingent upon its existence. Censorship however, will prevent access to an entire book if there is good as well as controversial material; consequently, destroying what is also worth saving (Ashiem, 1953, negative or positive section).

Figure 3: (American Library Association (ALA), 2024, p. 8)

 

I found the creation of this book as well as the writing of this reflection relevant to working with young people in the library. It prompted me to think that when the Cumberland Council had banned the children’s book on same sex parenting, children who have read and loved this book, may feel that there is something wrong about their own family; I felt the need to try to create a book to help them understand that what is happening is wrong and is not a reflection on their family. The idea that children should have free access to books that are considered controversial by some people, is difficult for librarians to overcome (Kidd, 2009, p. 200). I wholeheartedly agree with the Australian Library and Information Association, that information services have the responsibility to ensure that individuals, including children, have access to information and services that meet their needs and it is imperative for librarians to support the free flow of information and ideas (2018, pp. 1-2). I believe that I now have a better handle on the process of selection, but there is always a need to stay vigilant, to not unconsciously succumb to my own prejudices, even if I do not realise I have them.

Whilst writing my book, it also felt like I could be planning for a story time; to be writing material denouncing censorship was one aspect, but to also produce an event around this book, to show publicly that freedom to read is important. I agree with Ashiem that librarians should promote the freedom to read by selecting material and providing services that spark controversy (Ashiem, 1953), it is the only way for society move closer to equality.

 Figure 4: “Why did they take the books away?” (Curran, 2024, May)

References

American Library Association (ALA). (2024). The state of America's libraries.

Ashiem, L. (1953). Not censorsip but selection. American Library Association (ALA). https://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/NotCensorshipButSelection

Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). (2018). ALIA free access to information statement. https://read.alia.org.au/sites/default/files/documents/alia_free_access_to_information_statement_2018_0.pdf

Baldassarro, R. W. (2011). Banned books awareness: Alice in wonderland. Retrieved 11 May 2024 from https://world.edu/banned-books-awareness-alice-wonderland/

Curran, S. (2024, May). Why did they take the books away? [YouTube video]. https://youtu.be/KjhmGK_1AqU?si=aUl_PuPan3Dmu7C1

Harbert, N. (2019, June). Alice in wonderland: Most everyone's mad here [YouTube video]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLOlf5My6w

Kidd, K. (2009). “Not censorship but selection”: Censorship and/as prizing. Children's literature in education, 40(3), 197-216. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10583-008-9078-4

1 comment:

  1. Sam, what a beautiful picture book and oh so relevant to the world today! I also was very concerned by Cumberland Council’s decision to ban books on same-sex parenting. I jumped on board to sign the petition and was so pleased to see the decision reversed – the power of the people in action. It is so important for children for children to see reflections of themselves in the literature that they have access to.

    For one of my PD activities, I chose to research book awards that celebrate diversity and was thrilled to find the inaugural DANZ awards – The Diversity in Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand Children’s Book Award – children’s books that celebrate diversity: disability, culture, class, LGBTQI+, race, religion, and marginalised communities. Books that “push boundaries and challenge stereotypes” (DANZ, 2023, sect.1). These are the books that libraries and parents should be able to promote, without uninformed councils responding to uninformed opinions.

    References

    DANZ. (2023). The DANZ Children’s Book Award: diversity is more than a label. https://www.thedanzchildrensbookaward.com/.

    ReplyDelete